The job holder is responsible for providing assurance that Internal Audit Performs its work in accordance with its Charter, which is consistent with The Institute of Internal Auditors International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, Definition of Internal Auditing and Code of Ethics.
Key Responsibilities/Duties / Tasks
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Carry out Internal quality assessments [IQA] – review of audit assignments and periodic reviews.
- Coordinate execution of External Quality Assessment [EQA]
- Monitor implementation of IQA and EQA recommendations.
- Review alignment of IAD strategic plan to Corporate Strategy.
- Monitoring IAD Strategic plan implementation
- Update and review compliance with Internal Audit Charter, Internal Audit Strategic Plan and Procedure Manual.
- Monitor utilization of tools (Nessus, Idea, Nipper, TeamMate and any other tools in IAD).
- Monitor IAD staff productivity
- Review audit customer satisfaction survey and provide implementation feedback.
- Facilitate surveys with stakeholders – Board Audit & Risk Committee (BARC), Senior Management and Internal Audit Staff.
- IAD risk monitoring.
- Service Level Agreement preparation, review and update.
- Review implementation of AAWPs and percentage (%) of risks covered.
- Prepare and implement a risk based IQA risk plan.
- Maintenance of working templates/ standard forms for IAD
- Dissemination of Information on changes to IAD policies or procedure to IAD staff
- TeamMate Administration
- Training Internal Audit staff on Quality Audits, TeamMate and Risk Management
- Risk Champion for Internal Audit Department
- Driving research & innovation in IAD
- Present IQA report in IAD Senior Management Meetings
- Prepare monthly papers to Team One and Board Audit & Risk Committee
- Supervising & Motivating IQA Staff
- Performance management of Interns & Attachees
- Any other duties that may be assigned by HOD
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Manage staff within the Internal Quality Assurance unit with regards to task allocation and supervision
- Provide work instructions and assist employees with difficult and/or unusual assignments, encourage innovation, achievement of goals and foster team work through resolution of problems and mediates conflicts during operations
- Review scope of audits, allocation of resources, deadlines and terms of reference for each review for respective units within the Internal Quality Assurance unit.
- Prepare the Internal Quality Assurance unit annual budget and monitor its implementation.
- Development of Unit’s Budget.
- Recommendation of Unit’s expenditure.
Responsibility for Physical Assets
- Responsible for physical assets assigned by the institution.
- Provides oversight for the physical assets assigned to the Internal Quality Assurance unit.
- Makes decisions using standard operating procedures.
- Plans the work of subordinates
- Assigns work to subordinates
- Monitors subordinates work performance
- Appraises/evaluates subordinates performance
Works predominantly within the office.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Mathematics, Information Technology
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
CPA[K] or CIA or CIAQA, Membership of IIA
Previous relevant work experience required.
- At least 4 years work experience with 1 year at supervisory level in the relevant field.
- Knowledge of IIA’s International Professional Practices Framework
- High level of integrity.
- Ability to apply audit standards through practical application.
- Understanding and ability to apply risk and control concepts.
- Management and supervisory skills.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills.