- Providing technical leadership in provision of testing laboratory service.
Tasks and outputs:
- Develops functional objectives and implements plans for provision of laboratory testing service.
- Provide science based consultancy service to support interpretation and application of tax and border control policies.
- Provides direction and operation guidance for the testing laboratory.
- Develops, recommends and implements laboratory testing policies and procedures.
- Directs the evaluation of technological advances and changes in services to support business process improvements.
- Plan and direct research and development appropriate to laboratory testing function.
- Preparation and administration of the division budget and monitors implementation of work plan.
- Set staff performance targets, evaluate performance and monitor staff training and development.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure quality of testing and safety of the work environment.
- Establish and maintain liaison with relevant government agencies and other organisations on matters related to laboratory testing and technology.
- Preparation of management reports, and review technical recommendations and correspondences.
- Performing such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related field.
- Masters degree will be an added advantage.
Minimum years of experience
- At least seven (7) years relevant experience with three (3) years at middle managerial level.
Competencies required for this Role:
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Strong organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritise.
- Strong research, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with third parties and staff.
- Excellent decision making capabilities.
- Resilient, focused and results oriented.
- Motivated, dynamic and dedicated team player.
- Broad knowledge of chemistry, good knowledge in the Harmonized System (HS) Nomenclature and familiar with relevant tax laws and related regulations.
- Demonstrate ability to interpret scientific concepts, formulate and implement scientific programs and solutions to support administration of tax and related policies.