The Africa Biodiversity Collaborative Group (ABCG), via its host organization African Wildlife Foundation, seeks a motivated Communications and Engagement Intern. The Communications and Engagement Intern will have the opportunity to learn about communicating key messages, building brand awareness, and deepening stakeholder engagement that will protect wildlife and natural resources across the African continent. S/he will work closely with the ABCG Communications and Engagement Specialist to raise awareness, deepen stakeholder engagement and promote ABCG’s efforts to address emerging and high priority themes affecting biodiversity conservation in Africa.
The Components Of This Internship Will Include The Following
- Learning and applying ABCG standards on assignments;
- Learn to draft engaging articles and messages for the ABCG website, e-newsletter and external publications, including brochures, and fact sheets;
- Assist to organize and draft social media posts on ABCG’s Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn sites on conservation issues affecting Africa;
- Build connections on social media;
- Assist in organizing, planning, and coordinating outreach events including brown bag lectures, roundtables, and workshops;
- Assist to manage ABCG’s list serve and other contact lists, and;
- Assist in other communications and knowledge management activities
The ideal candidate for this internship should be a graduate student with a concentration in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations or related field, with a strong interest/background in conservation.
Additionally, The Ideal Candidate Would Possess
- Interest/background in wildlife conservation, foreign policy, climate change, and other conservation issues;
- Ability to work independently, and to collaborate effectively as a member of a team;
- Basic website and social media competency;
- Good writing skills;
- An eye for details—from grammar to new opportunities;
- A great attitude and desire to learn;
- Commitment of minimum 20 hours/week.
- Graphic design skills;
- Constant Contact or other email marketing experience is a plus.
This internship is unpaid; however, a travel stipend will be provided.