Reports to: Country Director
Liaises with: Head of Programs
Duration: 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding and performance
HIAS seeks to recruit a Communication Officer who will handle communication at the Country level, respond to communications from partners, develop content and update the HIAS Kenya social media accounts. The Communication Officer will also track campaign analytics and maintain digital media archives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, write, and edit HIAS Kenya public and communications materials, including press releases, statements, fact-checking, Q&As guidance notes, briefing notes, fact sheets, newsletters, blog posts and social media content.
- Promote communication and publicity materials of HIAS Kenya through appropriate media channels.
- Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communication campaigns
- Ensure that all communication and marketing materials align with HIAS brand identity and donor standards
- Work with Communication and Program team members to conceptualize and implement communication strategies, campaigns and other initiatives.
- Provide technical guidance to HIAS Kenya program staff in developing Information Education and Communication (IEC) material
- Respond to media inquiries, handle interview requests and perform media outreach.
- Develop escalation protocols for managing communication crisis, should they arise.
- Perform market research and analyze the HIAS Kenya’s audience and its needs.
- Create and maintain a robust relationship with the media to promote the organization image.
- Develop and maintain a database of journalists, reporters, media and other related organizations.
- Coordinate promotional events and news conferences, press releases and exhibitions.
- Monitor and respond to feedback from the media and the public about HIAS on traditional and digital channels.
- Ensure that digital marketing content aligns with HIAS brand identity and purpose and adheres to official brand guidelines.
- Participates in ongoing development of HIAS Kenya’s communications strategy and training of staff in communications best practices.
- Contributes to HIAS Kenya’s internal communications, including drafting talking points, reports and others
- Maintain up to date of matters and issues pertaining to the country under the area of expertise to provide advice and updates to the country office.
- Collaborating with Country director, Business development officer and program managers to send funders newsletters, and to promote on-site tours.
- Coordinate with the HIAS HQ Communications department to share relevant content, ensure message alignment, participate in HIAS global campaigns, and maximize social media impact.
- Maintain up to date of HIAS communications policies and guidelines.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or journalism or other relevant field.
- 1-2 years of prior experience creating digital content and managing communications campaigns, working in media or marketing, experience in the humanitarian sector is preferable.
Skills and Competence
- Strong communication skills both oral and written as well as analytical skills
- Ability to work well independently and with a team
- Understand the best practices of main social media channels including Facebook, Twitter Instagram, LinkedIn and other digital platforms.
- Ability to compose engaging and accurate media content
- Superior time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential).
- Knowledge of photo and video editing and design software is an asset
- Understanding of communications, external relations, and advocacy best practices
- Avid reader with a keen eye on laws, Policies and issues affecting Persons of Concern at the National and Global level
- Knowledge of Accountability to Affected Populations
Method of Application
The applications should be submitted through the link https://www.hias.org/who/career-and internship-opportunities quoting the Position Title: Communications Officer
Closing Date: 24th September 2021
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates.