Nation Media Group seeks to recruit a high-energy, ambitious visualisation specialist with experience working with large amounts of data and a passion of edgy storytelling to the position of Data Developer/ Producer in the Editorial department.
The job holder will be responsible for making large and complex data accessible and usable to a variety of audiences. He/She will be a key member of a busy data operation working on multiple ongoing, ever evolving projects of various scales. The Producer will be a critical thinker who is able to look at numbers and trends and come up with new conclusions and/or insights. The successful candidate will be required to work with journalists in a manner that conforms to the NMG Editorial Policy and Guidelines and produce engaging stories for a dynamic audience.
- Make large and complex data accessible and usable to a variety of audiences using a suite of tools/technologies;
- Apply digital tools to produce interactive multimedia projects;
- Design and deploy unmanned data collection techniques as part of Nation journalism;
- Support automation of data processes;
- Recommend relevant data tools for newsroom adoption on an ongoing basis;
- Identify, configure and develop systems to support Nation’s data journey;
- Turn large volumes of data into universally understandable and easy to interpret interactive visuals.
- Bachelor’s degree in a programming AND/OR statistical field;
- Evidence of 2-3 years of data visualisation experience, including identification, configuration and maintenance of a suite of relevant tools;
- Working knowledge of digital storytelling best practices, including SEO;
- Postgraduate statistical qualifications.