JOB GROUP ‘Q’ – 1 Post
Murang’a County Government is in the process of erecting a pack house to process avocado and to be located in Murang’a County. The above position requires to be filled immediately from competent persons to join a team to guide the process and get the pack house ready to handle the first fruits in early 2022
This is a position will responsibility and accountability for the post production, processing and operation of avocado post-harvest facility that ensures fruit quality stewardship through to delivery to market ensuring the packed fruits are managed for quality in a timely manner, to meet the contractual load out commitments and to including safety and people.
Key Tasks / Responsibilities
- Manage the post-harvest operation to ensure the safety of our people, product and assets
- Manage, lead and train pack house supervisors, stakeholders and seasonal staff throughout main pack and rework season.
- Manage plant and equipment, building assets and maintenance schedules
- Optimize available technology and plant
- Manage crop packing plans and general pack house operations.
- Manage packaging planning and scheduling of supply
- Manage and ensure all pack house technical specifications are implemented, managed, recorded, monitored
- Ensure availability of local and export transport market.
- Optimize fruit performance, minimise fruit loss and maintain cool chain throughout and rework for inventory associated with this production line.
- Analyze and report on post-harvest financial parameters established for the site.
- Establish good client relationships
- Work with key stakeholders and report, reconcile grower production data from the avocado union and primary cooperative
- Ensure production, export standards compliance, including BRC and other pack house standards at all times.
- Optimize grower pack outs
Position Core Competencies:
- Sound Avocado industry knowledge.
- Practical Post Harvest knowledge and experience.
- Ability to maintain and calibrate packhouse machinery.
- Meeting agreed packhouse throughput targets.
- Achievement of quality outcome with regard to the fruit packed
- Strong leadership, organisational and technical skills.
- Computer literacy and understanding of fruit inventory systems
- Strong presentation and communication skills. •
- Ability to implement policy
- The ability to communicate effectively across all levels and cultures.
- Strong interpersonal relations and ability to lead a team
- Proven effective managerial experience to ensure good industrial relations with all staff
- Good attention to detail and ability to cope with complexity
- Ability to handle pressure and manage change and meet Key Performance targets.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s in science degree in the following field, Food Science, Home Economics, Agriculture, Horticulture, Agriculture Economics, Natural Resource Management, Agribusiness, Agriculture Extension, Agriculture Education, or any other relevant and equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
- A Masters Degree in any of the following fields: Food Science, Home Economics, Agriculture, Horticulture ,Agriculture Economics, Natural Resource Management, Agribusiness, Agriculture Extension, Agriculture Education, or any other relevant and equivalent qualification from a recognized institution; will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in technical/ management level three (3) of which must be in a busy Avocado pack house.
- Business acumen essential
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a team to obtain high performance and able to coach, develop, and motivate others within and across the organization.
- Experience in packing other fruits and vegetables for export market will be an added advantage.
Method of Application
Application forms and details of the vacancies can be accessed at http://www.murang’a.go.ke. Applications should be submitted to the Public Service Board email. firstname.lastname@example.org or through post clearly indicating the position applied for on the envelope addressed to:
Murang’a County Public Service Board
P.O. Box 52 – 10200
Applications can also be hand delivered at the County Public Service Board Offices located within the County Governor’s office, Murang’a on or before close of business on 23rd July 2021
Applicants from other Counties are encouraged to apply.
Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification. Women, minorities and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Shortlisted candidates will be required to produce their original identity cards, academic and professional certificates, testimonials, clearance and other relevant documents in support of their applications.