You are a passionate business leader who understands how business value can be created by attracting, managing, and growing the best talent, and you are energized by creating an inclusive culture where talent can thrive. As the leader of the People team across Dalberg Africa, your primary responsibility will be to understand business objectives, develop a talent and culture strategy that can achieve those objectives, and work with junior colleagues to execute the strategy. In particular, we are seeking an individual who is able to demonstrate the competencies below:
- Experienced business executive. You have over 10 years of experience in leading the operations of people-centric organizations (i.e., where managing the human work force is the primary business operation). You have held positions such as Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operations Officer/Head of Operations, Head of Business Division, etc. You understand how businesses work and have experience in attracting, recruiting, developing, motivating, and retaining talent in a fast-paced culture. You have experience working with HR staff to implement business strategies.
- Africa-wide experience. You have experience working across African countries in Southern, East and West Africa. You have a deep understanding of the differences in work environments across countries, and you have experience in managing continental business operations in a unified manner that respect county differences and local employment laws
- Strategic and creative problem-solver. You are able execute on today’s challenges while maintaining a forward-thinking mindset around where we will be six months, one year, and five years from now. You are eager to be innovative to solve challenges and drive forward new ideas and initiatives. You are comfortable using both quantitative and qualitative analyses to analyze issues and balance business and impact goals.
- Collaborative. You are able to work seamlessly with all levels of an organization, working hand-in-hand with your team and with other functions to influence decision-making and achieve impact. You enjoy coaching teams, engaging with peers to share best practices and challenges, and sharing and receiving feedback. You are humble and a good listener.
For this role, fluency in English is required. Conversational ability in French is a plus given coordination needs with our West Africa offices.
WHAT YOU WILL DO AND HOW YOU WILL GROW
The Director of People – Africa will be a senior leadership role within the firm overseeing the Talent and Culture function for over 100 staff across our rapidly growing Africa offices in Addis Ababa, Dar es Salaam, Johannesburg, Kigali, Lagos, and Nairobi. Reporting to the Regional Director of Africa and liaising with colleagues across the globe, this role will manage a growing team of 5-7 professionals in the People function.
- Work directly with the business owners in Dalberg Africa to understand business priorities and challenges. Improve existing strategies for various talent functions that are responsive to and help achieve these business objectives. For example, take leadership on:
- Understanding the changing needs of the talent profile for projects and revising strategies for recruiting, career pathways, etc. to match new talent needs
- Developing an approach to attracting and onboarding African leaders at the senior and mid-levels, especially those with non-traditional work experience
- Understanding the diverse people needs of different projects and the diverse preferences of staff members, and develop a matching mechanism that meets both business needs and talent preferences
- Standardizing training programs (including a search for external training programs) and developing efficient delivery mechanisms for trainings (e.g., pre-recorded training that is available online, and on-demand)
- Understanding retention challenges and developing creative retention strategies, especially for mid-level staff in the organization
- Developing and maintaining an integrated people dashboard that extracts relevant information from existing systems, provides an ongoing view of business needs (e.g., forward-looking needs for recruiting, staffing, training, etc.)
- Keeping a pulse on staff needs and challenges, and proactively developing and rolling out solutions to address emerging challenges (e.g., COVID response)
- Developing a shared ownership culture and mindset across the organization
- Lead and motivate team members in the People function providing strategic problem-solving support, as well as getting into the weeds on details of processes when necessary. For example, provide oversight to junior colleagues on:
- Opening and fulfilling recruiting requisitions, orchestrating events and outreach, and liaising with global teams on global recruiting campaigns and events
- Supporting existing training programs at global, regional, and local levels
- Supporting the Staffing Associates as needed, on matters pertaining to the staffing process and norms
- Strengthening and managing the implementation of Dalberg’s performance management process, that helps accurately assess and reward employee performance
- Tracking progress against diversity objectives and developing closing any gaps
- Managing staff morale, social events, etc.
- Standardizing policies as much as possible, while maintaining room to customize for local regulations, staying up-to-date on changing compliance requirements
- Working as one Africa team, e.g., by collating and sharing best practices
- Managing the internal HR ERP system and regional employee information
What We Offer:
- A highly collaborative, flat, and entrepreneurial organization that provides the platform to make an impact on day one
- A uniquely talented, highly diverse, passionate, and fun team
- A culture supportive of employee work/life balance
- A deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism in our culture, beliefs, systems, and processes
- Flexibility to be based anywhere in Africa or similar time zones such as Middle East or Europe
- Competitive benefits and career development opportunities
JOIN OUR TEAM
Your application should be submitted here, via our Career Center before 29 August 2021 and should include a resume and cover letter.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Dalberg is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law. Given the focus of the role on the Africa region, preference will be given to African nationals and diaspora.
Employment in all the Dalberg offices is conditional on the candidate having or obtaining the requisite authorization to live and work in that country.