You will be accountable to:
- Build a network—unless you already have one—to get in the deal flow (entrepreneurs, other investors, academics, advisors, and those who work in corporates, NGOs, and accelerators).
- Identify a pipeline of companies working to solve energy access & utility problems for low-income learners. Evaluate their model and market opportunity.
- Identify deals. Prepare deals for review. Structure and execute approved deals.
- Document deals. It’s not just paperwork, it’s foundational to investing to document and ensure documents are accessible to Acumen’s Investment Committee, Partners, and the Board.
- Assess how to add value to the companies Acumen has invested in (Is it strategy? Cash flow? Operations? Talent? Where should they focus and why? How can you help?).
- Monitor the social and financial impact of your investment.
- Identify Acumen community members who could represent Acumen at the board level and potentially serve on a board.
- Develop trusted relationships with portfolio company promoters, and potentially represent Acumen on portfolio company boards.
- Develop a network of talent that will add value to investee companies (e.g., sector and functional experts, thought leaders, advisors, partners).
- Build trusting relationships with investors, the donors that have created the opportunity.
- Manage the Education Advisory Committee
- Coach 1 – 2 junior team members in investing skills related to financial modelling, deal negotiation, being a good RM, and adding value.
- Commitment to the mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree; MBA preferable
- 8 – 10 years of principal investing, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses.
- More than strong financial modelling… you can analyze a business and a market.
- Senior level networks in the private, public, non-profit, and philanthropic sectors working in Energy in East Africa preferred. Relationship with relevant grant makers and government a plus.
- Ability to communicate clearly, excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people around the world
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management, can work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure.
- Permanently authorized to work in Kenya.
- Full spoken and written English is required. Swahili is also helpful.
- Flexibility to travel, primarily throughout East Africa, but international travel is also likely (20-30%)
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Respect for our values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- You’re always questioning, always probing, never blindly accepting
- A listener: you take the time to understand what someone is actually saying before you make up your mind.
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including benefits.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.