Reporting to: Executive Director
Works closely with: Head of Finance
Responsible for: Program design, fundraising, oversight of grant implementation and donor reporting and also monitoring and evaluation
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Head of Programs is responsible for the operational success of Childline, ensuring seamless team management, development and capacity building, support with fundraising, partner communication and partnership building, program delivery, quality control and evaluation. The Head of Programs leads a team of project managers, officers and counselors. S/he is primarily responsible for daily operations of the call centre, and other services that augment and support these programs. The position is also responsible for coordinating and supporting the design and implementation of new programs and Childline’s Monitoring and Evaluation Framework.
In the absence of the Executive Director, as a member of the Senior Management Team, the Head of Programs will be directly responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization and liaison with the Board.
- Coordinate the use of Childline’s M&E Tools **
- Design new programs and projects and fundraising for the same**
- Coordinate project implementation and reporting to donors**
- Participate in the recruitment of program/project staff
- Ensure that Childline staff members fully understand and are fully trained to implement existing programs/projects
- Convene the quarterly Program and Human Resource Sub-committee meetings of the Board as secretary to the committee**
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Advice the Executive Director and the Board on programming strategies and dynamics
- iParticipate in the development of the Corporate strategy and functional strategies and manuals
- Program and Services Management
- To be responsible for all facets of programming and service development and delivery, from design, proposal writing, project planning, budgeting, implementation, evaluation and report writing.
- To ensure consistency of quality, accountability and high standards in all programs and services. This includes providing training for staff and developing procedures, models and comprehensive frameworks of delivery and measuring progress.
- To maintain appropriate fiscal controls to ensure all programs are within the scope of the annual budget.
- To ensure consistent and meaningful evaluation of all programs and services is carried out in order to assess their impact and success and to make needed changes and improvements as indicated.
- Responsible for the supervision and management of Childline’s data management software
- Analyze trends in the program, identifying issues and developing and recommending solutions to the Executive Director
- Human Resource Management
- Develop, implement and evaluate recruitment strategies to expand the number of staff members for the organization’s programs/projects
- Direct, plan and coordinate the work of the program staff including supervision and evaluation, training and team building
- Conduct regular Performance Appraisals with program team members, providing constructive feedback and direction as to improvement.
- Organize and attend regular departmental meetings to maintain effective communication
- To provide positive leadership to all staff, encouraging team approach to programming and professional attitude
- Ensure adequate and qualified staff to carry out the program activities
- In consultation with the Executive Director, responsible for the selection, hiring, coaching, and discipline of program staff
- Organization Management
- In the absence of the Executive Director, deal with the day-to-day operations of the organization, including liaising with the Board of Directors.
- To assist the Executive Director with the development of Childline’s budget and to monitor and be accountable for all program expenditures.
- To be an active participant in the Senior Management Team, attending meetings regularly and bringing forward issues for discussion and decision related to programming.
- To identify learning needs for program staff and coordinate capacity building efforts.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Define M&E standards for all programs inclusive of key performance indicators
- Vet and cultivate a culture of reflection, impact measurement, and impact-evidence generation in programs; monitor this and make commendations to staff, ED and Board on any necessary improvements
- Lead project Baseline surveys and program/project evaluation exercises
- Participate in the organization’s audit exercises as required
- Documentation and Learning
- Develop organizational learning and sharing platforms to include Program impact identification tools, plus documentation and sharing within and outside Childline, ensuring uptake of learning
- Working with the rest of the senior management team and other staff members, prepare Childline’s Annual Report and relevant program brochures
- Determine best practices in programming from the work of other child-focused organizations locally and internationally and make recommendations to improve Childline’s work
- Representation and Other Responsibilities
- Promote and maintain Childline’s image as a child protection authority and strategic partner with the government and other organizations in the sector
- Represent Childline at relevant program fora both at the national and international level
- Deputized for the ED as and when required
- iAny other duties as assigned by the ED
Specific requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, including social sciences, with at least 5 years demonstrated experience in implementing development projects in the non-profit sector, preferably child protection programs
- Counseling training and experience will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Proficiency and interest in using technology as a program management tool
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Strength in recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, and empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
- Demonstrated results in managing through complex systems both state and non-state and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Childline’s mission
Method of Application
Interested applicants should send their application letters together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, including names of three referees to: email@example.com not later than 20th August 2021 at 5PM with the subject line “Head of Programs Application”. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.