The Operations department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in daily administration, logistics, procurement, asset management and IT for field offices in Kenya. The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps operations activities are the prompt and effective provision of on-time solutions Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
The Operations department intends to engage a self-reliant IT intern passionate about technology, collaboration, and problem-solving using technology. The intern will be involved in meaningful projects under close supervision from a mentor and support from the departmental leadership teams.
PURPOSE OF INTERNSHIP:
The internship will provide an opportunity for professional training through support to the team based on the activities:
- Respond to user requests for service, troubleshoot problems, and help develop solutions;
- Support with fixing PC hardware components, desktop operating system software, and application software;
- Perform minor repairs to equipment and arrange for other servicing needs;
- Identify and report system issues to vendors, monitor and test resolution issues sent to vendors;
- Monitor antivirus software and updates, repair computers infected with spyware, adware and/or viruses;
- Monitor backup systems and procedures to ensure data security;
- Maintain a log of service requests, solutions and other responses;
- Assist in maintaining inventory records and documentation for equipment;
- Participate in user training for basic hardware and software use;
- Provide backup technical support for the network, including router, firewall, and wireless access points;
- Maintain open communication and positive working relationship with staff;
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned.
After this internship, the intern will: Gain hands-on experience in a wide range of IT functions including: IT support, networking and solutions development.
- Gain experience in working in a multicultural environment with diverse activities.
- Gain experience in working in an international humanitarian organization.
- Ability to attend to basic user support queries with minimal supervision;
- Demonstration of participation in applications development and implementation;
- Abililty to create technical and end-user documentation;
- Ability to monitor endpoints and ensure they are compliant with Mercy Corps set minimum requirements;
- Ability to generate reports on fault summary, trend analysis reports, weekly, and identify a possible trend.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Recent graduate in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Management Information Systems major;
- An understanding of computer networking, cabling, and network file and print services;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work well in teams;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Ability to develop, maintain, and promote strong internal and external relationships.