Our Client, an exclusive private membership social club located in Nairobi is looking to hire an Internal Auditor. He/she will be responsible in ensuring that the organisational risk map is kept up to date, reflecting the changing priorities. The Internal Auditor will work with the General Manager to report to the Audit & Governance Committee on the whole range of assurance activities that take place within the Club in relation to the risk register.
The Internal Auditor will play a key role in ensuring that that business, financial and other control procedures identified in the risk register are being properly implemented, managed and consistently used in the operations of the Club management team.
Given the knowledge obtained through the audit work, the Internal Auditor will provide independent, objective assurance and advice designed to add value and improve the club’s operations while focusing on internal control systems, risk management framework and governance.
The Internal Auditor will be the focal point for the anti-fraud and corruption policies.
A solid understanding of member club operations and hospitality sector is essential.
Accountability: General Manager
Reports: Audit & Governance Committee
- Risk Management
- Working primarily through Directors and Senior Managers, ensure that a major review of Club’s risk map is undertaken at least twice a year
- Ensure that the risk register is properly maintained and regularly presented to the Audit & Governance Committee/ the Board
- Ensuring that risk register structure is updated to make sure feedback from directors is taken into consideration and they are made aware of any changes and consider major risk areas in relation to Club’s operational and strategic management.
- Develop an assessment framework that brings together the assurance activities of the Club where they relate to the risk register and report against this to Audit & Governance Committee in the form of a functional audit
- Internal Audit
- Present an annual internal audit plan by reference to the risk management framework to the Audit & Governance Committee for their approval.
- Develop and maintain the Internal Audit Procedures to ensure that best practice is taken account of and that the audits address specific areas of risk management
- Undertake the approved internal audit plan in line with agreed procedures liaising with the relevant senior management of the Club.
- At the conclusion of audits to provide a full briefing to the relevant senior managers and the General Manager ensuring that their comments are recorded as part of the review.
- Agree action plan necessary to implement the audit recommendations with the senior managers of the relevant department and the General Manager
- Present the audit report to the Audit & Governance Committee, highlighting any areas of concern and the resultant action plan.
- Monitor the implementation of any recommendations.
- Identify common features across audits and organization-wide issues, proposing appropriate systems improvements.
- Anti-fraud and corruption policy
- Review and update the anti-fraud and corruption policy as appropriate, ensuring that the Club staff are aware of the policy and trained in how to use it
- Ensuring there is effective reporting mechanism for reporting incidents related to fraud and corruption by the staff and members of the Club.
- Maintain the fraud and bribery register, provide advice on fraud policy and give support in event of suspected fraud, carrying out investigation as required.
- Keep abreast of legal developments associated with the local laws and regulations
Education & Qualification
- Degree educated or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Relevant professional qualification in auditing/finance.
- 5 years+ experience in auditing preferably within the hospitality
Skills & Experience
- Proven experience in hospitality operations with problem-solving capabilities.
- Knowledge of accounting, finance and risk management.
- Interpreting financial and other records.
- Critical understanding of establishment and operation of internal control mechanisms.
- Proven understanding and application of risk management frameworks.
- Ability to use spreadsheets, accounting software and other desktop IT packages.
- Interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels including Board level.
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the position as subject of email.