SNV is a member of the €160 million Dutch Fund for Climate and Development (DFCD) (www.thedfcd.com), a Netherlands based consortium (led by FMO, Dutch development bank ), whose objectives are to (i) provide finance and Technical Assistance (TA) to projects with a focus on climate change adaptation; (ii) mobilize external private sector funding at scale; and (iii) align directly with DFCD Theory of Change (ToC).
The DFCD allows for investments in projects aimed at climate change adaptation and mitigation in developing countries. SNV, as part of the DFCD Origination Facility, will identify and develop, together with local companies and stakeholders, bankable business case propositions which can subsequently be picked up by the DFCD Investment Facilities (Water and Land-use) for further development, match-making and investment. The DFCD presents an important additional instrument for the Dutch government’s efforts in contributing to the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The DFCD programme in Kenya wishes to announce an internship vacancy in the unit. The opportunity envisages that the intern will gain experience on project appraisal, financial analysis of grant, debt and equity applications, project administration and grant management.
- Receive and review applications / Intake Forms and related financial information from private sector companies for consistency, completeness and accuracy of documentation;
- Peruse and assess applicant’s application / Intake Form and financial information to ascertain eligibility for DFCD support in line with the DFCD’s criteria;
- Analyse the applicant’s investment proposal, thesis, origination activities; environmental and social impacts of the project; how it fosters climate change adaptation, resilience and sustainability;
- In line with the Intake Form assessment, undertake financial analysis of the application, covering Origination Facility grant financing and technical assistance request, envisaged investment implementation post-OF graduation;
- Make recommendations to the Regional Investment Officer, sub-Saharan Africa regarding the eligibility and acceptability of the application for further processing and presentation to the OF Investment Committee;
- Assist in compiling and updating DFCD sub-Saharan Africa’s Business Development pipeline
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Regional Investment Officer, sub-Saharan Africa
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in finance/accounting/commerce
- Professional course certificate such as CPA, ACCA, will be an added advantage
- Computer literate
- Proficiency in English and Kiswahili; written and oral;
- Intermediate /advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and especially Excel).
Contract Duration:4 months
Remuneration: The project will pay a monthly stipend and cover all field costs relating to the assigned tasks in the internship period as guided by SNV policies.