1. Executive Assistant to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission B3 (18/21 NR)
Main purpose of job:
To provide administrative and logistical support to the Ambassador (HMA) and Deputy Head of Mission (DHM) and office support functions to the wider mission (including for official visits and events) at the British Embassy in Mogadishu (BEM), working remotely from Nairobi but with regular visits to Mogadishu. To help coordinate the Chevening Somalia/Somaliland programme and marketing/arranging interviews; maintaining alumni network etc.
Roles and responsibilities
HMA and DHM support:
- Provide administrative support to HMA and DHM across the full range of PA functions e.g. managing diaries; booking internal and external appointments and logistical arrangements (e.g. rooms; transport; move forms; refreshments; setting up teleconferences and VTCs); drafting and responding to correspondence and invitations and ensuring clear and accessible filing/ records; maintaining up-to-date contact lists e.g. for the diplomatic community;
- Arrange logistics for HMA and DHM when travelling in and out of Mogadishu e.g. booking flights/hotels and transport;
- Provide an interface between HMA and the rest of the Embassy e.g. highlighting diary opportunities; ensuring that briefing is in hand in advance of meetings; communicating HMA travel arrangements to staff.
Events and visits support:
- Maintain up-to-date contacts lists and coordinate guest lists for official events at BEM e.g. QBP; Remembrance Day; Chevening receptions;
- Coordinate the annual QBP Committee and event (diary appointments; minutes of meetings; ordering kit etc.);
- Work with the Corporate Services Team to ensure sufficient and suitable entertainment kit to support official representational events, including through purchasing approved items using the Government Procurement Card (GPC);
- Work with the BEM life support contractor to support the organisation of large formal events e.g. Ministerial dinners (layout; menus etc.)
- Work with visits leads across Government Departments to help plan and prepare for official visits.
- Work with colleagues leading on Communications in Nairobi, BEM and Addis/Hargeisa to ensure sufficient Chevening outreach;
- Help to maintain and manage the alumni network including up-to-date contacts lists;
- Help to coordinate and conduct Chevening interviews and liaise with scholars/the Chevening Secretariat.
- Advise Corporate Services colleagues on the entertainment budget element of the local budget and support them on accurate forecasting of entertainment spend for official events hosted by HMA/ DHM;
- Ensure official entertainment supplies are available for representational events hosted by HMA/ DHM;
- Make official purchases using the Government Procurement Card (GPC) and ensure all expenditure accounted for in line with guidelines.
- Manage the Locally Employed (LE) driver based in Nairobi, ensuring that TOIL/ Overtime is kept to a minimum and health and safety standards are fully respected eg with regard to number of driving hours. Manage the driver’s programme, prioritising and de conflicting where necessary. Ensure that the driver’s training and mandatory medical checks are up to date.
- Act as an interface for BEM staff travelling through BHC Nairobi e.g. helping set up meetings/ arranging transport; arranging induction meetings including security briefings;
- Helping to coordinate and support Somalia Network Away Days and other events/meetings;
- Contribute to updates of the Somalia Network Welcome Pack, BEM Post Report and ‘know before you go guide’;
- Contribute to the corporate agenda at British Embassy Mogadishu/ British High Commission Nairobi e.g. by supporting the annual People Survey, participating in committees;
- Maintain and update the official Gift Register 2 x a year in line with audit requirements/circulate reminder notifications for Activity Recording to all staff/ act as the point of contact for the BEM Nairobi and CSSF Call Tree.
- With Mogadishu-based colleagues operating on a breather break system, team members are expected to be able to provide wider cover across the section as necessary, allowing for further development opportunities.
Apply Via https://fco.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-2/xf-f5a0f9da2131/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/14751-Executive-Assistant-to-the-Ambassador-and-Deputy-Head-of-Mission-B3-18-21-NR/en-GB?utm
2. Furnishings Assistant S3 (22/21 NR)
Main purpose of job:
The Furnishings Assistant will be responsible for the safe delivery, collection and moving of furniture and accessories within the office and the large residential Estate. He/She will also be responsible for the cleaning of properties before a new tenant moves in and general upkeep and cleaning of the furnishings stores.
Roles and responsibilities :
- Delivering of furniture and stationary around the British High Commission office, including setting up of meeting rooms as per Kenquiry (internal request system) details.
- Delivering, moving, arranging and cleaning of furniture for official residential properties. Ensuring that care is taken while moving furniture and white goods. At all times recording/bar coding items as and when they leave/return. Including recording delivery/removal notes at all times
- Deep cleaning and furnishing properties as per Foreign & Commonwealth Office guidance taking care of all H&S guidance.
- Preparation, delivery and collection of domestic float for both office and residences
- Routine maintenance of the furnishings stores and surrounding areas ensuring they are orderly, clean and free from hazards.
- Working as part of a team in preparing properties for occupation
- Reporting back to the furnishings supervisor any issues or items damaged missing from properties.
- Occasionally , the job holder is also expected to do contractor supervisions during property preparations.
- In periods of absence from the Estates attendant, he/she will be required to attend to duties as advised.
- Assisting other teams in the Mission with any heavy lifting, moves on an as need basis
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- KCSE Certificate
- Good team player skills
- Attention to detail and initiative, as well as good customer service skills
- Proficient written and spoken English
- Heavy lifting capability (up to 45Kg)
- Prior experience working in a warehouse or store room