- Government Relations Officer
About the Role
You will support the Government Relations Manager to nurture relationships at Sub-County Level with relevant government administrative authorities to ensure that Komaza’s business operations run smoothly and in compliance with the institutions mandated to regulate the Forestry and Agroforestry industry. You’ll also provide management direct reports within the department by collecting data for analytics and management decision making and to help build replicable systems. We’re looking for a great communicator who can understand the inner workings of government ranks, complex issues and work to nurture and maintain relationships with the relevant authorities. The role will be supporting Komaza’s offices in Central and Coastal Kenya.
The role will be based in either of the following locations; Central Kenya (Nyandarua County) or Coastal Kenya (Kwale, Kilifi Counties).
What You Will Do
- Build and manage relationships with government officials at the Sub-County level and support other government officials as directed.
- Track and participate in the resolution of risks and issues affecting Field Operations.
- Coordinate Komaza’s involvement in shows and exhibitions relevant to business operations and industry.
- Research and report on new policies or regulatory developments or changes that may affect any of Komaza’s operations, current or future.
- Support strategy drives internally at Komaza – support the Government Relations Manager to support implementation of short term and long term goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Support in public-private partnerships by identifying opportunities in the private sector to drive efficient service delivery.
- Support in following up on regulatory approvals, operational licenses, and permits with government regulators to support the Field Operations activities.
- Support in coordinating internal and external field events which include input delivery visits, harvest visits, and exhibition days among others.
- Support in conducting regular audits to ensure Komaza’s operations are in line with Kenyan Government laws & policies guidelines.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Government Relations Manager.
What You Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, International Development/Relations, Public Policy, Government Relations, Business Administration, or any other related field.
- At least 3 to 5 years of relevant experience e.g. in supporting successful development and implementation of local aid community initiatives, developing policy for social enterprises, or other related experience.
- Experience in working for a political, non-profit, or other social enterprises that concern an idea for a movement or a product.
- Extensive knowledge of national and county government on legislative processes, procedures, and protocols.
- Strong communication skills – both written and verbal form.
- Ability to build and nurture relationships and manage people
- Able to apply problem-solving and analytical skills in balancing and addressing business needs and government requirements.
- Quick-witted and intellectually curious to stay up to date on current industry trends and government updates.
- Enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with other departments and partners.
- Demonstrates good emotional intelligence awareness and conflict resolution.
2. Harvest Technical & Safety Manager
About the Role
The Harvest Technical & Safety Manager is a mid-level management role that is the primary support to the Harvest Director. The Harvest Technical & Safety Manager will be the standard-bearer of quality, ensuring that there is regular safety monitoring, training and reporting to senior management.
The Harvest Technical & Safety Manager is also critical in the training delivery to the Operational teams by managing the training calendar and providing sufficient support to the teams both in the classroom and in the field.
This role will be based in either Kilifi or Naivasha, Kenya with regular travel to the other locations Komaza operates in.
What You Will Do
- Harvest Excellence:
- Regularly monitor and measure Komaza standards against national, regional and international forestry standards
- Ensure that these standards of excellence are consistently implemented across each Regional Business Unit (RBU).
- Support hiring and onboarding of new Harvest employees
- Contribute to a Harvest culture that prioritises safety and professionalism
- Advise on the development of inventory, marking and tree data collection tools, procedures and systems
- Own and advance the Harvest training curriculum and calendar. Coordinate & ensure high quality Harvest onboarding training for all new employees
- Act as primary assessor for the Harvest certification system
- Facilitate training of trainers courses across each Regional Business Unit
- Deliver regular new and refresher training content to new and existing staff across all Komaza Regional Business Units
Harvest Risk Assessment Monitoring:
- Support the Harvest Director and Komaza Design Team to develop and implement a risk matrix against all farms
- Ensure that appropriate skill levels are catered for within felling, extraction and haulage teams to handle the requirements of each respective role
- Implement tools and process for regular health and safety assessment of all Harvest teams
- Ensure appropriate first aid training, standards and protocols are in place across all Regional Business Units
Harvest Inventory Oversight:
- Ensure all Harvest teams are equipped with the appropriate equipment for the task at hand
- Collaborate with providers to ensure that all Komaza equipment is well maintained & in good operational condition
- Manage harvest equipment maintenance and service tools and schedules
- Manage and keep a suitable inventory of spare/ replacement parts in stock across all RBUs.
What You Have
- Five plus years of forestry or operations experience
- At least two years of proven management and leadership experience
- At least one year’s experience in a dynamic, high-pressure operational environment
- Experience within a position holding responsibility for safety and standards
- Experience in organizing, developing, and delivering training
Desirable but not mandatory
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, operations or a related field
- Advanced felling / chainsaw certification
- Demonstrated experience in maintenance and servicing of chainsaws / mechanical equipment
- Strong written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- A team player who is adaptable in a dynamic work environment
- Well organised and good at planning and coordinating projects
- Energetic and enthusiastic, willing to do whatever is necessary to get the job done
- Comfort with ambiguity and uncertainty, as well as patience and perseverance in the face of serious logistical and environmental hurdles including problem solving
- Excellent work ethic, positive attitude, and attention to detail
- Proven ability to self-manage and deliver results
- Interest in sustainable economic development and / or agroforestry
- Skilled in using a computer, proficiency in G-suits is an added advantage