- To secure a solid bedrock for finance activities in the East Africa Busines Area, (BA EA) countries, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania
- Deliver high quality set of accounting data to facilitate group, statutory and tax reporting
- Manage BA EA Finance staff and coordinate Finance services
- Coordinate compliance processes in BA EA
- Manage group reporting process in BA EA
- Deliver Finance services (as defined in global policies and process standards) to local Business
- Protect Syngenta assets in BA EA
- Represent Syngenta towards external auditors (together with Finance Head)
- Coordinate Finance processes in BA EA and ensure all these processes / activities follow local & group compliance standards
- Ensure timely and accurate recording of all business transactions in ERP system according to the IFRS accounting rules used for Group reporting and local GAAP rules for statutory reporting in local ERP system.
- Ensure statutory,tax and management reports are returns prepared in accordance with local GAAP, Tax regulations and Group standards.
- Ensure that assets are safeguarded in accordance with Corporate Policies and Procedures. Prepare all financial & defined management reporting to fulfil reporting requirements, including legal, VAT, social insurances, statistical information and support local statutory finance head on tax and statutory reporting requirements.
- Ensure all documents comply with legal and tax requirements and related compliance and are authorized according to the formalised authority levels in the organisation.
- Ensure all accounting processes/activities are properly documented.
- Accounting and reporting – Sustain high standards on verification of assets and liabilities in the balance sheet, review and approve financial accounting schedules, ensure compliance to standardised accounting, reporting and financial systems as well as policies and procedures. Also manages all local accounting issues to ensure unsual transactions are corrected accounted for and reported.
- Support Compliance activities and manage BA EA Compliance reporting. This requires the job holder to understand the end to end processes (eg Accounting to Reporting, Procure to Pay etc) and key internal controls for these processes and ensure that the procesess operate effectively and are documented.
- Ensure Group Transfer Pricing framework is implemented and followed,BA EA specific regulations regarding Transafer Prices are understood and effects agreed with Group Tax team.
- Good understanding of local Generally Accepted Accounting Policies
- Good understanding of business end to end processes and internal controls necessary to safeguard the Company’s assets.
- Good knowledge of Local tax rules
- Good working knowledge of IFRS (and local Generally Accepted Accounting Policies)
- Best practice corporate governance
- Appreciation of Information Technology
- Qualified accountant (CPA(K) with at least 5-10 years post qualifying experience in relevant roles. A degree in Finance or Business related field is mandatory.
- Knowledge and experience in working with Accounting systems
- Evidence of independence in work, ability to set objectives, deadlines and meet these.
- Either experience in managing teams or expressing clear leadership skills.
- Process management and compliance knowledge within a complex, matrix organization and across different functions.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Can demonstrate examples of clear achievement against performance goals
- Ensures plans with resources, milestones, measures
- Builds up quickly and maintains networks with relevant customers and stakeholders
- Displays positive attitude to change and progress
- Follows up and checks progress – confronts performance progress directly
- Gives and seeks feedback systematically and constructively