About the role
We are currently seeking an experienced Lead Mechanical Engineer who will work on Sanergy’s existing breeding facility to implement key retrofits and design changes to the current operating facility. The position is based in Kilifi with considerable movement to Kinanie, Machakos constituency.
A typical day for you might include the following:
- Lead a team of engineers to design, select and procure mechanical equipment packages to be used in organic waste bioconversion facilities
- Analyse existing operations and propose new retrofits to increase efficiency and reduce the overall operational costs
- Perform design calculations for various engineering problems
- Review vendor drawings and provide technical feedback to ensure specifications are met
- Review controls and/or electrical plans for various equipment
- Review/Develop mechanical engineering deliverables (Specification sheets, GA drawings)
- Provide engineering input to civil and architectural drawings
- Shortlist potential vendors and request designs for quotation
- Lead meetings with vendors and engineering consultants
- Along with the vendor, perform factory acceptance testing, test and balance activities, and functional performance tests
- Responsible for the technical quality and accuracy of work developed by the mechanical engineering team
- Prepare operating guidelines commissioning test forms, equipment checklists and commissioning reports and maintain commissioning issues lists
- Develop clear and transparent communication channels with other staff including Engineers, Project Manager, and Administration Staff.
- Lead and manage the installation and commissioning of various industrial equipment
- Troubleshoot system operational issues that impact system operation, safety, and reliability
- Provide hands-on field expert level support for construction
- Perform field inspections to ensure construction meets the design specifications
Skills and qualifications you’ll need:
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in engineering and design of processing units, equipment, waste treatment facility.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of how multi-disciplinary engineering team functions
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in the operation of Boilers, Chillers, water treatment, Pumps, waste treatment and Control Systems is preferred.
- Experience in operating factories in the waste sector is preferred
- Experience in commissioning various mechanical and electrical systems
- Effective interpersonal skills to properly represent Sanergy in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, set priorities, handle budgets and provide constructive feedback to junior members
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well among the Sanergy-Stars:
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The perks you’ll have:
- A holistic benefits package
- Unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional growth
- A unique chance to tackle critical challenges of sanitation, economic empowerment and food security