Our client in the FMCG Industry is looking to hire a Legal Counsel.
Reports to: Board of Directors, Managing Director
The ideal candidate will be responsible for providing practical legal advice on business issues and strategies and ensuring the company operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Managing litigation risks proactively by conducting employee trainings and sensitization programs, reviewing relevant company documentation including contracts and processes.
- Advising on minimal liability and legal exposure for the business.
- Suggesting and advising on various legal matters likes contracts, dispute resolution, regulatory, employment, and governance.
- Monitoring regularly key developments in the litigation arena, particularly regarding issues that would could directly impact operations in the market.
- Contributing to the business’ anti-illicit trade plans and activities by reviewing them for compliance with the relevant local laws.
- Ensuring that the company is in compliance with all current business process laws.
- Managing the Intellectual Property portfolio by ensuring timely registration or renewal of trademarks and through assisting with the management of any related disputes or litigations.
- Participating and contributing to cross functional business projects and initiatives to minimize legal risks and ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Keeping management informed of legal issues and coordinating/initiating required actions.
- Providing leadership, guiding, mentoring and identifying training opportunities for the development of the employees in the company.
- Managing and tracking performance of employees within the section.
- Attending executive level meetings related to the future direction of the company and changes in policy.
- Promoting legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout the company.
- Staying up-to-date with changes to legislation, particularly in relation to laws, rules and regulations that directly affect your business and specific industry.
- Providing assistance with global joint ventures, strategic partnership deals, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or any relevant field; Postgraduate qualification in Law from a recognized institution.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya; Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- A minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience as an advocate, five of which must be in a managerial position.
- Exposure in manufacturing industry is an added advantage
- Understanding of national and international labor, trademark and copyright laws.
- Analytical and Negotiation Skills
- Conflict Resolution; actively seeks perspectives from others to ensure inclusiveness and understanding
- Displays integrity, ethics, and respect
- Drives innovation and change
All applications should be done on or before close of business 5th August 2021
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: using the position as subject of email.