Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
Personal Assistant to the DA whilst also providing administrative support to the wider Defence Section. The job combines standard secretarial support and diary management. Facilitating travel in the region, basic IT support as well as organising events on behalf of the Defence Section.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Personal Assistant to the Defence Adviser;
- Provide support to the Defence Adviser and Deputy Defence Adviser;
- Monitoring incoming emails and despatch as required, assisting the ADA with incoming and outgoing mail;
- Arrange appointments on behalf of the Defence Adviser and running his/her diary;
- De-conflict DA & DDA diaries;
- Ensure Defence Section driver is fully briefed on schedules, predict overtime requirement in support of authorisation by the DA;
- Arrange all travel requirements for the DA/DDA.
- Raise and track Notes Verbales, follow up and track responses;
- Obtain Diplomatic Flight Clearances, arrange airside passes and submit manifests for all MilAT flights and Royal Naval Ships entering countries for which the Defence Adviser has responsibilities;
- Liaise with Kenyan Ministry of Defence (KMOD), Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other ministries as required;
- Provide assistance for UK MOD visits to Kenya including visit programs;
- Manage and co-ordinate Defence Section working functions, selecting venues, contacting and costing caterers, assembling guest lists, sending invitation cards, creating place cards & menus, sourcing entertainment/bands, maintaining contact lists & preparing DRE paperwork;
- Request access to KDF facilities for BATUK staff;
- Defence Section POC for information management, managing the filing systems for both hard and soft copies.
- Ordering and managing of the Defence Sections stationery and other office supplies as required;
- Maintain currency of Jessop House inventory and liaise with Jessop House domestic staff when required;
- Report office faults and ensure office is maintained by Corporate Services;
- Provide cover for the ADA during absences;
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the role as detailed by the DA/DDA/ADA
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Extensive experience of developing good working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent IT skills (a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is essential);
- Good oral and written communication skills, attention to detail and initiative;
- The ability to respond flexibly to competing demands.