The Regional Financial Manager (RFM) falls under the Hivos East Africa Regional Director & the Global Head of Finance & ICT. The Finance Manager operates as part of Global Finance & ICT Team, and with oversight of a team of 9 finance staff in the Region.
Specifically, as part of the Global Finance Team, she/he/they will take care of the end-to-end regional financial management and business planning processes, the regional accounting, financial reporting and analysis. The RFM anchors financial management process in the region as laid out by the Global Office. She/he/they will also ensure internal financial controls and financial risk management in addition to people management responsibilities.
Specifically, the RFM ensures that corporate budget objectives are achieved. She/he/they prepares corporate budgets by establishing schedules, collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data and preparing month-end, quarterly and yearly financial statements.
The RFM is first in line to safeguard financial assets by establishing & adherence to financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems; oversees cash and operating capital, monitors cash flow and projections and prepares month-end, quarterly and yearly financial statements on corporate level.
She/ he/ they are responsible for the monthly consolidation process, dealing with external auditors and finalizing the Hub’s annual accounts in line with agreed on timelines and processes.
Hivos is going through a variety of change processes aimed at substantial reduction in its operational complexity and cost and overhead reduction. This includes an upcoming merger of the Eastern and Southern African hubs. The RFM will therefore be a key staff member to lead some of the change in his/ her/their area.
The RFM coordinates the finance team (including the financial staff at the hub) and functionally coaches the Financial Officers in finance processes the primary process insofar as their work relates to the corporate accounts and project finance.
The RFM serves as the functional manager (“dotted line”) of the Finance Managers& Officers in the regional Hub. For project finance staff, there is a dual line of reporting, where these project Finance Managers & Finance officers report to the Program Managers, but are also accountable for following instructions, timelines & accounting rules from the Global Office. These staff consequently report directly back to the Finance Manager and therefore indirectly to the Global Finance Department.
Your expected results
- Prepares corporate budgets by following established schedules and collecting, analyzing and consolidating financial data;
- Achieves corporate budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; limits risks and initiates corrective actions.
Optimizes processes and prepares policies such that:
- Structural problems and bottlenecks in the financial accounting system are identified, analyzed and evaluated;
- Proposals for solutions lead to improved financial registration processes and contribute to the realization of the financial policy.
- Delivery of internal and external financial reporting requirements in line with instructions, timelines and accounting rules from the Global Office.
Ensures proper coordination at the finance department and with the financial registration processes of other departments such that:
- The work of the finance department and that other financial accounting staff is coordinated and leads to optimized financial business processes;
- As a (regional) coordinator s/he/they understands procedures, guidelines and working arrangements;
- With consultation of the head of Finance & ICT, new/ improved working methods and procedural changes are implemented in the day-to-day performance of the work.
- Relevant academic level of working and thinking.
- Relevant work experience : above 8 years.
- Work experience in complex financial environments.
- Expertise in accounting; business economics; ERP/MIS systems.
- Work experience in an international environment.
Your core competencies
- Adherence to deadlines
- Leadership Job skills
- Customer orientation
- Change Management
- Team player
- Team leader
What we offer
We particularly welcome applications from women and or persons that belong to either one of the rightsholder groups. We offer a contract based on Hivos East Africa’s local labor conditions with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise requested.
The job is based in Kenya and the candidate must have the right to live and work in Kenya. We do not offer any work sponsorship for this particular role.
Level: Senior Salary Range: KES 520,000 – 550,000 per month.