Responsible for assessing the level of risks within the Country Offices, and ensuring required actions are identified and implemented to mitigate those. Ensures through regular compliance reviews and spot checks that country offices have effective internal control systems, are in compliance with FH policies and procedures, as well as donor and country rules and regulations. In collaboration with the Global Service Center coordinates actions in response to fraud cases in Country Offices in close collaboration with the FH Global Service Center. Champions implementation of effective risk management and compliance practices to enhance FH’s Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) framework and Compliance Program.
- In coordination with the FH GSC (Risk and Compliance), the Sr. Manager Global Internal Audit, and with the FH Global Finance, as well as Program leadership and team, leads the development of a self-review plan and its implementation to ensure regular and adequate reviews are performed in all country offices, and particular attention is given to high-risk offices/locations and programs.
- Ensures FH Compliance Policies and other related procedures are enforced and well known by staff and other stakeholders in Country Offices.
- Coordinates and builds the capacity of staff on internal controls, risk management and compliance, fraud detection and prevention.
- Work with Country Leadership (specifically Finance Managers, Program Directors and Human Resources (HR)) to ensure compliance with relevant regulations, proactive review, identification, assessment and reporting of risks, and ensure adequate and effective controls are designed and are working effectively to prevent identified risks.
- Builds capacity of Managers and other staff in terms of risk management and compliance within the Country Offices.
- In close collaboration with FH GSC and Country leadership, coordinates responses to fraud allegations in the Africa region, maintains a fraud register and shares lessons learnt.
- Works with the Sr. Director for Risk Management and Compliance to establish regular risk and compliance related updates to the FH Executive Leadership Team (ELT), as well as the Finance and Risk Committee.
- Support Country leadership in developing country-wide risk assessments and mapping (risk registers) and leads the drafting and implementation of a mitigation action plan. Identifies ways of improving cost-efficiency and streamlining processes, and advises management of country, regional and GSC offices.
- Lead compliance reviews across the countries and communicate results of such reviews with GSC, regional and country leaders.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Level Specifications
- Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs expressed in The Heartbeat.
- Demonstrated computer-operating skills, including proficiency in Google platforms, Microsoft Office products, and virtual technologies such as Skype and/or Zoom.
- Ability to sit/stand at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard.
- Strong intercultural communication skills, able to swiftly and easily fit into the various national environments in which FH works.
- High integrity and a strong sense of professional ethics.
- Excellent knowledge of various risk management and compliance processes and practices.
- Ability to lead and perform complex compliance reviews and develop a system that ensures effective compliance with donor and country regulations.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals within a broad range of cultural environments, especially in the African context.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of time per year in the US and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
- Typically,5+ years of finance, internal audit, risk management and compliance experience including performing operational/performance reviews and fraud investigation.
- Experience in conducting risk assessments in a complex, matrixed global organization is a must.
- Experience with US Government regulations such as the 2 CFR 200, as well as other multinational and private donor regulations is a plus.
- Non-profit ministry experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required or at least 7 years of finance, internal audit, risk management and compliance experience including performing operational/performance reviews and fraud investigation.
- Certification such as CIA, CPA, ACCA or CFE is strongly preferred.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Spanish or French is a plus. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.