We are pleased to announce the following vacancy in the Sustainable Business and Social Impact department of the Corporate Affairs division. In keeping with our current business needs, we are looking for a person who meets the criteria indicated below.
Brief Posting Description
Reporting to the Head of Department; Sustainable Business and Social Impact, the Senior Manager Sustainability and partnerships drives responsible, sustainable and purpose led business practices as well as thought leadership and develops strategies on Sustainability, SDGs, Shared Value, rights, Environment management and compliance. The role also oversees all the partnerships and ensures that Safaricom is represented locally, regionally and globally.
Strategy Formulation & Implementation:
- Develop the Sustainability and SDG Strategy for the company;
- Lead, Drive and Oversee Environment Management and Regulatory Compliance;
- Lead the strategic sustainability mapping process for divisions;
- Research on new sustainability thinking to match to the business needs and ensure that Safaricom stays ahead of the curve;
- Lead Integration of rights into sustainability and implementation of the rights framework;
- Collaborate with senior managers and champions to manage sustainability plans and strategies, execution timelines and deliverables;
- Ensure quarterly reporting on progress of implementation of agreed sustainability action plans.
- Development the partnership engagement framework for the team;
- Creation of mutual partnerships to enhance our agenda locally, regionally and globally
- Lead the strategic partnership mapping process for the team to ensure mutuality
- Collaborate with the partners to ensure that the purpose agenda stays top of mind
Strategic Programs and Projects Management:
- Develop and constantly evaluate progress and status of implementation of formulated sustainability business plans;
- Oversee the formulation, implementation and review of Safaricom sustainability programme and projects including climate change, rights-based approaches, environment management and compliance;
- Take leadership in any specially assigned projects/initiatives in relation to the team’s mandate and docket;
- Quarterly meetings with the internal stakeholders to keep them abreast of Sustainability issues;
- Quarterly workshops with external stakeholders to keep abreast of issues and dissemination of the same to internal customers;
- Meetings with both internal and external customers to address docket wide issues and concerns;
- On behalf of CEO oversee the development of the sustainable business report.
Business Intelligence & Thought Leadership:
- Consistently monitor next frontier sustainability thinking, environment management and environment regulations of strategic interest and provide input on changes taking place in the industry;
- Research on new areas in sustainability broadly that Safaricom can gain strategic advantage over its competitors;
- Positioning of Safaricom’s sustainability portfolio locally and globally;
- Contribution and participation in sustainability fora to shape thought leadership;
- Identify key Sustainability, climate change and social policy issues to which Safaricom and its eco-system should subscribe/address
- Seek intelligence on new strategies and regulations from industry experts, Telecom analysts and other media whilst maintaining highest ethical standards.
- Management and Coordination of the section’s functions (Sustainability and rights, Environmental Compliance & regulatory monitoring, Environmental Management & ISO certification and carbon management)
- Ensure that the team is exposed to trainings in the relevant skill area to enable them to discharge their duties adequately.
- Ensure that the team works in harmony to deliver the section objectives
- Oversee the attracting, recruiting, deployment and retention of “A” players for the unit;
- Undertake all talent management activities and routines that ensure a team that is continuously engaged, rewarded and developed;
- Monitor the performance of all team members and support department head in providing on-going feedback;
- Maintain an employee value proposition that engages employees to deliver their best.
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Natural Resource Sciences, Environmental studies, Sociology, diplomacy, and International Relations;
- A postgraduate degree, diploma or certificates in courses in Sustainability matters within a highly technical industry will be an added advantage;
- Certified Sustainability Practitioner
- Excellent Knowledge on GRI reporting as well as UNGC communication on Progress
- A registered lead environmental expert with NEMA;
- Excellent knowledge of NEMA regulations and provisions of the EMCA 19 99;
- At least 10 years’ experience in Sustainability, environmental compliance sector for the manufacturing, construction or ICT sector or large-scale industry;
- At least 8 years of process and people management experience;
- Excellent working knowledge of ICT regulatory environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
Method of Application
Note to Applicants
As part of the interview process, external candidates should prepare the following documentation which will be required as soft copies at a later stage based on your performance in the interviews/assessments.
- An updated CV with contacts of three referees, 2 who must be professional and must have supervised you at some point, the other referee can be a colleague in the same professional field.
- Kenyan Certificate of Good Conduct (Less than 1 year old) or a receipt of the same from the CID pending release of the hardcopy document.
- Clearance certificate from a reputable Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
- University Diploma/Degree Certificate/ Letter of completion from university in case you have not received your diploma/degree certificate.
- National ID/Passport
If you feel that you are up to the challenge and possess the necessary qualification and experience, kindly proceed to update your candidate profile on the recruitment portal and then Click on the apply button. Remember to attach your resume.