Department: Project Implementation Unit
Direct hierarchy: Project Manager
Contract duration: 6 Months
Location: Kapenguria West-Pokot County, Kenya
Starting date: Preferably July 2021
Background on ACTED
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the position of a SENIOR PROJECT OFFICER-WASH in West Pokot County, Kenya.
This advertisement is in anticipation of funding. The Senior Project Officer ensures the implementation of Water and sanitation project activities and prepares written materials and progress reports on Water and sanitation field activities. He/she contributes to effective and timely completion of Water and sanitation activities, delivery of quality outputs and achievement of outcomes with maximum impact for beneficiaries. He/she reports directly to the Project Manager and works closely with the field team.
To implement Water and sanitation activities in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators and in line with donor requirements and based on beneficiary needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Planning
- Prepare the work plan and time schedules for implementing the Water and sanitation activities;
- Support the identification and planning of technical skills and requirements to implement the project as per relevant standards.
- Project Implementation Follow-up
- Coordinate and implement day to day Water and sanitation activities with stakeholders in field ensuring that technical quality and standards are considered and respected during project(s) implementation;
- Ensure Water and sanitation activities are on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts;
- Assist the Project Manager to trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation;
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to the Project Manager and other team members;
- Documenting and Compliance
- Keep record of all Water and sanitation activity documents, in particular beneficiary list, completion certificates, attendance sheets, etc.;
- Help maintaining a beneficiary master database containing all beneficiary registration and baseline information as well as the Water and sanitation activities from which the beneficiaries benefitted ensure the data is protected from misuse in line with ACTED’s data protection policy;
- Ensure staff awareness of, and respect of, ACTED’s code of conduct, FLATS procedures and donor requirements.
- Beneficiary Engagement and Accountability
- Adhere to ACTED’s Code of Conduct and treat all beneficiaries with respect and without any distinction or discrimination based on nationality, race, ethnicity, tribe, gender, religious beliefs, political opinion or disability;
- Select the beneficiaries benefitting from Water and sanitation activities;
- Communicate ACTED’s Complaints and Response Mechanism target communities and participate in solving complaints related to the project in coordination with the AMEU.
- Internal Coordination
- Participate in project coordination meetings with the whole project team.
- External Coordination and Stakeholder Engagement
- Undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation;
- Cultivate good relations with key humanitarian actors – local and international, including government authorities and non-state actors, through regular attendance at technical meetings and bilateral meetings;
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and coordinate efforts with other organizations to ensure our activities build upon – rather than replicate – the work of others.
- Partner Management
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with ACTED and donor requirements;
- Refer partners to relevant ACTED staff to support and/or train them in FLATS procedures where relevant;
- Participate in review meetings with partners, with particular attention given to the relationship aspects of partnership collaboration, and ensure that any issues or disputes are resolved in a timely manner.
- Ensure that each member of the Water and sanitation team is aware of security issues, policies, SOPs and they follow them accordingly.**
- Human Resource
- Participate in the recruitment of Water and sanitation technical staff (development of organigrams, ToRs, elaborating the tests and reviewing them; interviews etc.);
- Ensure that Water and sanitation staff understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities;
- Follow-up the work plans and day-to-day activities of the Water and sanitation staff;
- Manage the project staff in cooperation with the Project Manager;
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics among [sector] staff;
- Ensure capacity building among staff in Water and sanitation.
- Contribute to the development of procurement plans;
- Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner;
- Ensure a proper management and use of the project assets and stocks;
- Plan Water and sanitation team movements based on available fleet and applicable policies
- Forecast monthly cash requirements for [sector] activities and submit to the PM
- Quality Control
- Assess the Water and sanitation activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Undertake regular field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as regularly monitor the progress of Water and sanitation activities;
- cAssists with monitoring the water and sanitation activities implemented by partners (if any) in the field;
- Document lessons learned and best practices and share them with the Project Manager so they can be reflected in project planning and decision making.
- Grant Management
- Ensure adherence to donor procedures by project staff;
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of progress and final reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information for [sector] activities
- Participate in communication activities through the regular collection of pictures and stories related to project activities;
- Participate in new proposal development processes through the provision of expert programmatic advice related to contextual knowledge.
- Protection mainstreaming:Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual labours etc) Others
- Offer technical support and inputs to other projects in similar sectors (e.g. BOQ design);
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Line Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development studies, Social science, Water and Sanitation or other relevant discipline
- 3-5 years WASH management experience in Donor Funded Projects
- Demonstrated experience in WASH management in an NGO/INGO is highly preferable.
- Able to manage a high workload and meet tight deadlines
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills; committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership; able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate; able to enforce procedures
- Good understanding of SPHERE and other international standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage national staff
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office;
- Good inter-personal skills, commitment and motivation
Method of Application
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 14/07/2021 with the subject line as;
APPLICATION FOR LOGISTICS ASSISTANT. Note that Applications sent without this exact subject line will not be shortlisted.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
- Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Shortlisting will be done on rolling basis and ACTED reserves the right to fill this position before the deadline;
- ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.