This role will suit someone with good developer skills and excellent communication skills. The role can be hybrid based – some time in the office and some at home – or we will consider total remote working. It’s a key position supporting the World Service’s syndication business which partners hundreds of organisations – from the biggest international digital brands to local radio stations. We are a global team that generates income and delivers over 62% of the World Service audience.
- To work with Business Development, BBC Design and Engineering, and Distribution Management to implement and support effective digital delivery processes and support for World Service distribution partners.
- To help develop, build and maintain digital systems that will deliver content (TV, audio and video) to international partners.
- Input requirements into projects that will impact the external delivery of World Service content. Provide expertise in internet delivery methods and represent the World Service team on projects run by other BBC departments.
- To implement and communicate improvement plans for digital delivery services to partners and document solutions for colleagues where appropriate.
- Be involved in implementing partner tracking and monitoring solutions
- Provide technical advice to World Service partners, and to work with Business Development as required to support commercial relationships.
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong software development skills including a working understanding of BBC Cosmos, AWS Lambda, AWS Cloudformation, AWS Cloudwatch dashboard creation, log analysis, RPM Packaging, AV formats, mp4, etc and nodejs
- Understanding of content production systems and content creation software. Strong working knowledge of digital audio and video systems, encoding and delivery of content digitally. Understanding of AV formats, mp4, etc
- Technical experience of APIs, content management systems and AV production software. Proficiency with data formats including XML/RSS and JSON. Knowledge of Digital Rights Management and data protection law, including GDPR.
- Ability to communicate risks and issues timely and appropriately. Excellent digital project management skills with knowledge and experience in Agile methodologies. Strong decision-making ability and experience identifying potential sources of risk and their impact on project success
- An understanding of World Service output and editorial priorities, and the technical challenges facing online delivery of multilingual content, including the rendering and presentation of languages in complex scripts. An ability to apply sound editorial judgement to problems so that any loss of output is kept to a minimum
- The ability to communicate clearly on a wide range of technical matters as well as the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with customers at all levels, both internal and external.
- Ability to maintain emotions in difficult situations or when working under pressure. Be a constructive, collaborative, positive and helpful member of a high performing team
Contract type: 12 month FTC
Location: Flexible – across the UK
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits– We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.