We are looking for a User Experience(UX) Designer/Researcher with a minimum of 5 years of work experience. You will be a part of testing and delivering brand new products for the trade ecosystem in collaboration with Trademark East Africa, government agencies in East Africa and the IOTA Foundation.
We are building and testing the use of blockchain technology to support traders in East Africa to reach global markets by digitizing and simplifying the interactions with governments and border agencies.
The team will include 7 people plus support from teams in TradeMark East Africa and within the IOTA Foundation. Multiple test pilots are now being planned for rollout. In order to help scale this growth, as the User Experience designer/researcher, the responsibility is two-fold:
- Support design processes for research and onboarding of new stakeholders to map user journeys & stakeholder needs for each pilot.
- Continuous UX design input and validation to improve the frontend of the TLIP (Trade Logistics Information Pipeline).
You will work with senior designers in the IOTA Foundation for professional feedback, support and input. In collaboration with Trademark East Africa, we will engage new sectors (tea, coffee, fish, textiles etc) as well as government institutions to continuously map their collaboration and trading processes. This includes trade certificates, data exchange and other official approvals needed for exporting to overseas markets. Alongside the technical teams we are designing and transitioning processes into digital journeys to improve the EAC region’s global competitiveness. Thus, you will have a critical role to ensure we fully understand and deliver high-quality services for all involved stakeholders in export/import processes.
The position is initially based on a 12-month contract with an opportunity for extension. The role is open to candidates in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda or Tanzania. The candidate will be expected to work remotely and must be open to travel in the region for meetings and workshops.
- Facilitation solution design processes for TLIP through research, design thinking methodologies, business processes analysis, etc.
- Research will include building questionnaires, document workshop interventions and compile conclusions into reports
- Facilitate and document workshops with stakeholders across the East Africa region to map their business processes including their pains/gains/expectations of a fully digital service for export/import processes
- Plan and coordinate interaction design, personas, usability testing or any other activities deemed beneficial for framing successful understanding and delivery of the project
- Produce storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts and wireframes, turning them into fully-fledged UI designs. The work will be mentored by a senior designer.
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Have a high level of detail for UI design and build perfection
- Work with the team members to adhere to current in-house styles or to help define new design systems
- Understand the complexities of front-end development in order to deliver usable, beautiful interfaces
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented
- Support the project team in any other organisational-wide efforts when required
- A design related degree, or equivalent industry experience
- Candidate needs demonstrable experience with stakeholder management and general understanding of business requirements
- At least 5+ years of user interface design experience
- A passion for creating fluid products that connect with people
- Strong knowledge of user interface design processes and best practices for continuous improvement of the service and interface
- Strong self-management with a friendly approach
- Must be able to function as a close collaborator or equally as an individual contributor
- Experience with diverse stakeholder management across organisations
- Expert proficiency with design and prototyping tools, ideally Figma, in order to integrate with the project team and help deliver your projects
- Knowledge of web & mobile platforms, and their capabilities / limitations. HTML, CSS and JS knowledge is a bonus in order to understand the challenges of development.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills
- High written and spoken proficiency of English
- Proven track record of project deliverables
When applying, please provide a portfolio of your work explaining your approach and decision-making as part of the design process.
- Constant challenges and ability to grow skills
- Being part of a growing team in East Africa
- Being part of a growing global organisation delivering cutting edge technology to global players
- Opportunity to be a high-impact contributor
- Work with the best engineers in their field
- Freedom in planning – with responsibility for delivering
- Casual and fun work environment